Tuesday 7 June 2011

Taiping - Bukti Larut Experience

Last week, I went for the most remote church camp ever! In remote I mean the location.
The "entrance" to Bukti Larut is located just next to Taiping Lake and we were greeted with the sight of huge Land Rovers! Not a pretty sight as they were all OLD and RUSTY!

After 30minutes of torturous curves and winding road, we finally reached our destination. There was a bungalow waiting for us. I thought happily to myself "Yay!!! we're finally here! Time for a nice long HOT shower!". Unfortunately, my little bubble was popped when I was informed that the location we were staying at was another 15-20mins trek away!!! Up the stair and slopes!

Honestly, I was pretty upset and before I knew it someone screamed LEECH! Ewww! Oh how I hate the jungle! Fortunately, I must have done something right in the passed week, as I managed to evade all leech attack.

By the time I got to the peak, I was greeted by the sight of the most run downed bungalow ever! Well, since I've been to the national service camps I guess I've seen worst. Brushing my unhappiness aside I decided to go take a shower and enjoy the fresh air.


Grabbing my clothes and arming myself with my shower kit, I headed to the showers with a skip to my step! I hit the switch expecting the shower room to be bathed in light and the heater indicator to light up. To my surprise(NOT) nothing happened.

ARGHHHH!!! No ELECTRICITY!!! Disappointment!

Bla.. fine I told myself, time to entertain and enjoy myself while waiting for the power to return. I whip out my Iphone wanting to take some LOMOfied photos and cut some fruits. GRRR! Unfortunately the only sight to greet me was a warning sign "10% battery remaining" DAMN IT! Nothing is going right. Like adding oil to the fire, I was just told that since it was a Saturday TNB(electrical company) would not do anything about the power situation!

Imagine being stuck on a "mountain" far away from home with nothing to do, no phone/internet line and no electricity! ARGHH!!!

Before I knew what to do, it got dark and started to get cold! HECK I told myself, Just go get that shower. And so I did.

Amazingly as icy cold as that water was, I did not feel cold after the shower. I was amazing and as if God answered my city girl prayers, the power returned!!

I knew I was depended on electricity, but I did not know how much until that day! What I thought was going to be the hardest and most boring 4 days of my life, actually turned into one for the best 4 days of my life. I really have to say that it is probably one of the most enjoyable and memorable church camps so far!

I guessed being stuck in the middle of no where will make you "interact" more with the people stuck with you.

Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment